Freitag, 27. Juli 2007

Happy Endings

The end of the week usually brings some form of joy. Perhaps just knowing you have 2 days to yourself if you are in the more 'traditional' work group. Perhaps exciting events around town on Friday and Saturday nights. For me, good news and good times.
Biked into Bern (nearest big city about 12 km) on Thursday hoping for entertainment. Didn't find it very thrilling, although beautiful with a nice river I would like to swim in (very clear water straight from the mountains but chilly). There is a street with only shops and no cars but it is all very expensive, but I found a bead store. Something that I shall occasionally treat myself to when I am feeling homesick perhaps for I love my crafts. Yet to find any yarn stores, I may have to order something online or have it delivered. Any volunteers to deliver me some yarn? I'll pay you back for the yard and 10% on shipping :-).
Although I haven't had any responses from my flier sent down at the dairy, I have found something that just might work out. There is an organic herb farm 2 villages away (a pretty easy bike ride although uphill). They speak english! (one of the harder things to find in a country farmer) And, they are used to WWOOFers, people that are set up through the internet for volunteering at organic farms. This means they are used to people coming and helping for a period of time while they teach them what they are doing at the farm. Although this volunteer position isn't guaranteed, it sounds almost too good to be true, Organic, Close, and an interesting topic, herbs. They make teas, spices and a couple other things that I can't read off the german brochure. They have a website ( obereichi.ch ) if you are interested and can read some german. I am meeting with them and with Susanne on Monday to learn more. Hoping for the best.
Tonight also brought some entertainment, although not a typical friday night for me. After a long days work of what seemed like constant cleaning (it is amazing what destruction two children can do and what little cleaning can get done by one 'adult'), and a good filling supper, I joined some of the village men (and one woman) at the community center for some good clean boccie ball. I was a little.. nervous.. at first, not sure how serious they took the game and knowing my skills would be less than extraordinary, but I had some good luck at times, and some bad luck at times. Out of the two games I played my team won both and I had a really great time and finally a beer. My first legal beer :-). Never again in my life will I be illegally drinking, for when I return I shall be deemed mature enough to drink alcohol. This beer (that I am finishing right now, only 2 hours to consume it ha) is from switzerland, but isn't a New Glarus or anything of the sort. A little, dark for my tastes, but I suppose it shall have to do. Hopefully tomorrow I will find some of the local beer at a grocer and perhaps it will be more enjoyable.

Heres to a great weekend
There is no good, there is no bad; these be the whims of mortal will:
That works me weal that I call "good", what harms and hurts me I hold as "ill".
-Sir Richard Burton

1 Kommentar:

Marisa hat gesagt…

Hi Justine,
Sounds like you are going back to Cozy Nook Farm without Elsie (was that her name??). Remember the bug eyed heifer? Good luck with the farm, sounds like fun. More pictures please!!

Stay safe, love
Aunti Marisa