Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007

Forgiven

I have changed my mind about Bern. I spent the day and actually enjoyed myself and could figure out where i was about 60% of the time, a huge improvement from last time. They had their farmers market today, smaller than one that is on saturday, but it was nice. I enjoyed a nice lunch of organic or here 'bio' vegetables and some bread. I also stumbled across a street vendor selling hand spun wool yarn from just across the border in germany and some machine spun in switzerland, so i purchased some beautiful yarn to make some nice warm winter gear for myself. My other... exciting find was an organic store with everything you could want including QUINOA, and AMARANTH. I was worried I would be without these two beautiful grains for a long time, but alas I have been saved.
Tomorrow is August First (Switzerlands Birthday) so everyone has off work including myself but nothing is open to do. There will be a village party of drinking and listening to some conservative politician give a speach (that i won't understand) and of course, fireworks. Tonight is card night, some sort of German game. I will see how it goes but I'm not a huge card person, but it will give me reason to try one of the swiss beers I got today at the organic store 'vettera'. Things are good, life is short. Too much I want to do in one year. Thursdays I will be working at the organic herb farm. It is small but BEAUTIFUL... and a good 45 min uphill bike ride away... Yay for my thighs i suppose, but a nice coast home.
P.S. No one has screens on their windows here.. there are barely any bugs! Well.. compared to what I am used to.

4 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

That place sounds so cool!!! I'm looking for some organic cotton hankies. If you find any cool ones there you should buy me 2 and mail them home. It would be a sweet souvenir! (And, of course, I'd pay you back!)

Can I come visit? I really want to!!! Chicago is great but Bern sounds even better.

Love ya sis!

Melissa hat gesagt…

Hey Justine, it's Melissa. What is "QUINOA, and AMARANTH" ?? I've been looking for new things to cook and am getting sick of couscous being "different" aside from pasta of course.

Also, sounds like they have a lot of delicious things to eat over there, that's cool you'll be working in a herb garden. I'm just growing Basil this year, but I use it a lot. Maybe next year I'll try something else.

Anyways, good to hear what you're doing, we all miss you!

Unknown hat gesagt…

Have you found anyone to dance with in Switzerland? Me gusta bailar con Justine.

GD

Karen hat gesagt…

Hi! I just had to write because I googled Mittelhausern and saw your blog. I just returned from a trip to Switzerland and I stayed with my friends in Mittelhausern. I miss them and Switzerland very much! I imagine you have been on the wanderwegs in the area. (I didn't read all of your entries). We enjoyed a lot of those--especially a long walk (for us) from the town of Schwartzenburg back to Mittelhausern. There is a very nice bakery in Niedersherli (right as you get to town from M) that we enjoyed. If you happen to see a woman with dark hair in there on a Sunday morning, please tell her Karen says Hi! Enjoy your time in that beautiful country! Take care! Karen