Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2007

People do this for free?

I love almost everything about this country of Switzerland. I would love it more if I could speak german. I thought long and hard about what I want to get out of my experience here, and I decided I would like to travel and see things, and learn things that I can't easily learn in the states when I return. To travel it would be much easier if I had a traveling partner so I am thinking of auditing a class at the University of Bern that is taught in english. Then I can learn something, perhaps bland, but perhaps meet some interesting english speakers in my age group. I also have a date for friday night to play boccie ball with the men of the village. Apparently many are on holiday right now so not many will show up and it is usually only about 6-10 men, but I am told sometimes some guys between 18 and 21 play... maybe? But I was also told there was a girl that was 18 that spent the last year in Canada and now I am told she is 16, so hmm I'm not sure if I trust their age judgement, but anyone closer to my age than 10 or 42 that also speaks english will be appreciated.
I also put up a poster at the dairy in german stating that this young american is looking to help with goats or sheep for free. It is a little too decorative and perhaps strange for most of the local farmers though, so I doubt I will get any responses, but it is worth a try. I actually stopped at a sheep farm and asked if they spoke english, and in an abrupt response I was told "nien" and that was that. Oh well, I shall try and perhaps be known as the very annoying american.
Interesting tidbit on Switzerland. They pay about 18 SFr (swiss francs) for about 10 small bathroom sized garbage bags and you HAVE to throw your garbage out in these bags or the garbage people will not collect them. At first I thought this was very strange and not something I would enjoy but it makes a lot of sense in that it keeps the people from throwing out too much garbage because it is so expensive to throw things out. They also have a very good recycling system. Paper in one area, tin in another, and most bottles in another. That may not sound too much more exciting than our system, but almost all the packaging is done so that as much as possible can be recycled, EX: the yogurt has a paper wrapper with the print on it that is removable and recyclable and says on it recycle this piece, and then you toss the actual plastic of the yogurt. Small example but you get the idea.
Oh the heading, I just had an 11 hour day and I couldn't imagine being a housewife that had to do this everyday, but I did work at entertaining the children and I am sure most parents don't entertain their kids the whole day... perhaps why television for children is so popular these days. The Riese-Failing family only allows 2 hours of television a week unless it is a horribly rainy week... i like that rule.

Keine Kommentare: