Samstag, 4. August 2007

A tribute to bikes

A tribute to biking...
Mount and begin. Clumsily at first, the bikes head tube of the truss reaches just millimeters from my groin, making my nervous system switch to parasympathetic as the automobiles drive 50 km per hour past just decimeters away. Uphill. Always uphill when returning from Bern. Four buttons to press. Left Top: Easier, Left Bottom: Harder, Right Top: Harder, Right Bottom: Easier. This is my simplistic method of remembering, so as not to be in mid-hill and decide to make my workload harder. Hmm, top left and bottom right. The chain slips from the sprocket, always wait for the front to switch gears and then do the back, never together. Pull over, replace gear, black fingers, clumsily mount and continue.
I can see my quadriceps femoris muscle group protruding with each downward extension of my leg as my gastrocnemius muscles contract, feeling the strain of the uphill climb from the day before. The sweat begins to form tiny droplets along my hair line and beneath my backpack. I feel the warmth of the afternoon sun tanning my darkened skin. Hiding under all the layers there are some areas still as white as they were in the darkest of winter days, unexposed to the harmful rays of the sun.
The weight of the backpack didn't seem too bad walking through Bern, but now it begins to pull me back down with gravity working against me. Why was Bern the only place to find local organic good beer around here? And why was it so heavy?
Summit, and coast. Deep breaths, take in the air, although less oxygen lies here than Wisconsin I quickly grew accustomed to the deeper breaths until my body began to carry in more oxygen. What goes down, ultimately goes back up.
Hill.
Hill.
Hill.
A slight breeze would benefit me greatly as the droplets of sweat are beginning to gather and slowly drip. The only chance at a breeze is to push harder, go faster. Down and harder, and coast. Let the air fly past and cool my hot face.
Close. A sign. Mittelhausern.
Just one hill awaits, the worst off all.
Top Left, Bottom Right.
Push.
Breath Deep.
Smile to the neighbors.
Push.
Turn, ground levels slightly.
Coast.
Deep breath.
Home.
Water.

1 Kommentar:

Melissa hat gesagt…

I like your writing style, good description.