Sonntag, 19. August 2007

one month tomorrow

I love the pools here. I take the kids swimming at an outdoor pool once a week and it is wonderful despite the stress of where the kids constantly are and the screaming of way too many people. When you sit down to watch the people (crazy i may add) jump off the 10 meter diving board, the backdrop is of a steep hill covered in sheep grazing. It is so strange but wonderful to see these sheep so close to these 5 outdoor pools. There is also a different feel at these pools. No one is perfect (although some look awfully close) but I think everyone realizes that. Almost all the womyn wear bikinis, and skimpy ones i might add.

Yesterday was a day on a bicycle. Me and Stephanie biked to Fribourg, the second closest big city. We left at about 9:30, cycled along a river, over some roots, under some trees, and quite a few detours. Finally decided to go on roads instead and arrived in Fribourg at about 1. Had coffee at a cute little outdoor cafe. Our table neighbors were two old gentlemen, one with an accordion and one with a clarinet and a flute. They played wonderful very 'European' music. Our waiter didn't speak english or german, we had crossed into the French part of Switzerland. I find it so strange, how does a contry that cant communicate work, but I love it. ( there are also apparently different dialects of swiss german, like bern swiss german around here and around zurich they have a different one) Then we biked home, along roads and up hills and down hills. Finally home at around 5. A beautiful bike ride into the french and very Catholic town of Fribourg (there were very many crucifixes and mother of god shrines)

I have been learning to play the Japanese game 'Go'. I find it quite interesting, like chess in the needing to think and plan ahead aspect, but much less to remember in terms of rules. It would be wonderful if someone could learn it so when I come home I can play against someone :-). I finally got to pick flowers at the herb garden this week, chamomile, quite tedious but enjoyable. I also got myself signed up for the bocce ball tournament in the village next Saturday... so perhaps I will attempt to practice a bit this week so I don't completely bring down my understanding partner 'big bruno' as he is called. (hes got a belly)

1 Kommentar:

Nonna & Nonno hat gesagt…

Hi Justine; Me and nonna we enjoy your diary. Happy first month in Svizzera!!!!